First Birthday in Africa!!!! Awesome!!!
Let me tell you why! On Wed night I stayed the night in the village with the girls. I was not aware of their birthday tradition. The next morning I was going to get up and go to morning devotions. But I didn’t hear anybody get up in the morning. I didn’t even hear the girls singing in the other room. I woke up instead to a cup of water splashed in my face and 16 voice choir singing happy birthday- followed by a huge hug- well actually a 16 girl dog pile on my mattress. =0) They made me a beautiful card!!!
I also got an invitation to dinner from my really good friend- she picked me up and took me out to eat! Could we girls eat- the food was so good!!
That night my friends here at Challenge compound made an awesome meal and gave me presents. Too much fun! I also got to talk to my fam on the phone. Before I left some people thought I would have cell phone withdrawal here in Africa- on the contrary- I use my phone more here than at home. Even in the village I can get great reception and talk to my fam.
Ok so I thought the party was over, but last night I was surprised by an outdoor grill party- candles- balloons- minerals ( pop) and tons of friends. We had a regular American party- Hamburgers and hotdogs- Pringles- and cake with candles and everything. Though the food was American – there was plenty of other countries represented- Switzerland, New Zealand, Canada, Scotland, England, and Ireland.
So after everyone was plenty full – I was taken away to be distracted while everyone else prepared a surprise.
So I came back to the group to see 2 rows of chairs – with my birthday chair at the front. All with my friends suv’s lights shining as a spotlight. Then my friend came out as the announcer welcoming us to the Karis Barn fashion show- featuring the Busenitz winter wardrobe edition. I started laughing so hard. 1 after the other my friends walked the runway- with the most shocking combinations of MY wardrobe - featuring, Karis in grade school- Karis in the village- Karis on stage- Karis going home…. They all included funny inside jokes. I was laughing so hard.
My friends made the party so fun. When I got home my friend and I hung all the clothes she had stolen from my wardrobe. I am so thankful for the friends God has blessed me with here in Jos- my new home. So first birthday in Africa- Yauwa!!
No comments:
Post a Comment