Ps 34:5 They looked to Him and were radiant...
Wednesday, October 13, 2010
Tis the season
Funny I was thinking of Christmas the other day and just had to listen to my favorite Casting Crowns Christmas CD. Funny for some people cause Christmas season seems far away. It seems in my life its easy to anticipate the next season and miss out on fully enjoying what is unique to this season of my life. Today I was sitting and reading my Bible- had the windows open and front door open so I could see the beautiful garden outside. The wind quickly changed and I heard the rain coming. Soon it was an all out downpour outside! This is a normal thing in rainy season but since its October rainy season is on its way out and Dry season is coming soon- so instead of daily downpours its like 2 times a week until the rain stops for the next 6 months. I felt compelled to walk outside and smell the rain- just to enjoy it while the season lasted.
I was reading some journal entries and newsletters and blog posts of the last 2 years to see where God has brought me. Funny to see when I was home I couldnt wait to get to Africa- after a year here I couldnt wait to go home- and now as I have 2 and a half months into my second year- I've found myself really considering what my time here is all about. Could it be God called me here for a short time and I go home to America next year and that was the end of this African experience- or could it be He called me here for 2 years to give me a good taste of what He's called me to for a lifetime?I have noticed that a change in perspective in the season- trying to look at circumstances with a positive outlook -helps keep me enjoying this season of my life- my adventure with God here in Jos, Nigeria.
Heres a few examples- Season N= Nigeria Season A= America
Scenario 1. clothes shopping at all my favorite stores.
Season N Go to market buy fabric- go to personal taylor, order style and pick up a dress in 2 weeks made to fit me- and in the words of a friend "a real WOw" something you really love.
Season A remembering how many times i have tried on clothes in America that just did't fit right- too expensive - or just not a wow!
Scenario 2. Driving
Season N Never boring- sometimes a bit of an adrenaline rush avoiding potholes, motorcycles, broken down cars, spontaneously stopped taxis- doing mandatory U turns to get where you want to go, saluting the friendly traffic warden ( only turn unfriendly if you run through the only stop light in town and call him nicknames within earshot) plenty of honking to produce like a musical soundtrack to your drive, buying flags, rat traps, phone cards or peanuts while stuck in a "go slow" ( traffic jam) and can hire a driver to take you long distances.
Season A- a bit boring, no honking, no making 4 lanes out of 2 lane road, no legal U-turns, traffic lights instead of traffic wardens to smile at you, speed limits on really smooth roads
Scenario 3. Cleaning House
Season N Have a sweet faithful lady come every week to clean my house. Shes always has a sweet Hausa greeting and a song in her heart as she works.
Season A Gotta clean that bathroom and wash those dishes
These are just a few examples that come to mind- but you get the idea. Had to send you a picture of these beautiful seasonal flowers that remind me of the Season changer who designed it all! These flowers are called Harmattan ( dry season) is coming.
Praying that we will enjoy the season God has us in right now!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment